Lessons I've Learnt From Physics, That Don't Include Equations

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


Hello!

Since we are in a new year, and at the start of a new semester, I thought I would share some tips, tricks and important lessons everyone studying physics (or any subject to be quite honest) should know.

My time at University so far has been equally amazing and tough. Especially having come back from a 9 month break from studying, this past semester I've learnt a lot about myself, my mindset, and how to succeed in the things you do. Hopefully keeping these things in mind will lead to a successful semester for us all!



1. Believe in yourself


This may be a cliche and obvious one, but it is SO important. 
Remember that whatever you are doing, you got yourself there, you ARE capable. 
University is a hotspot for imposter syndrome. But if you are at university, it means you were selected, you've made it through as far as you have, and you are smart enough to keep going. 
This is something my boyfriend once pointed out to me and it has stuck with me since. Whenever I feel stupid or incapable or out of place, I remind myself that I study physics at Manchester University and I have made it to third year, therefore clearly I'm not stupid, and I deserve to be here. 


2. Go to your lectures


9am's can be hard. 10am's can be hard. Honestly I've been known to miss 3pm's before now. 
While it seems SO obvious, so many people don't go to their lectures. Not only does going force you to keep on top of your work, but I realised this year (definitely an obvious fact) when I go to lectures, just how much more time I have in my day to do other work; whether it be lab, programming, example questions etc.
A good way to motivate yourself to go is to group together with some course mates and agree to meet each other there, and to get yourself into a routine. If you are waking up at the same time every day, those 9am's will suddenly seem a whole lot easier to attend.


3. Surround yourself with people who

 love you


Again another one you've probably seen before, but this is so important for so many reasons. Not only does having a good support network benefit your life generally, but in terms of studying and/ or careers, it's important to have people you can turn to when things get tough. Uni and work can be stressful, and having people who can either relate or sympathise while giving you positivity and motivation makes the world of difference. 
Find people who inspire you, people who celebrate your achievements, people who are genuinely rooting for you to do well and honestly, having them by your side, you will be unstoppable.




4. Don't be afraid to ask for help


From both my summer internship, and entering a new university year group in which I don't know anyone, there's been numerous times I've had to pluck up the courage to ask for help. I've found majority of times, people are more than happy to give you some time, in fact most people seem to welcome the distraction from their own work. 
Lecturers, demonstrators, bosses, even colleagues/course mates, can all appear scary sometimes, but if you need help with something or don't understand something, don't make yourself struggle alone! 
I used to be bad for that, but once you've asked for help once, you realise it's not a big deal after all.


5. Don't get hung up on grades



This is more specific to those of you studying, but I suppose could also apply to job reviews or even job applications. 
This past exam season, while there definitely was some stress involved, I've been the most calm and collected of any exam season. Maybe ever. 
I honestly put it down to this one change I had made with my mindset.
I stopped thinking about grades. 
I stopped thinking about all the parts I didn't know. 
I stopped thinking about all the parts I did know. 
Instead, I put all my focus into trying to understand and enjoy the content I was learning. This meant I genuinely (almost) enjoyed revising :O sounds impossible I know, but not thinking about the pressure of what grade I might get, or counting up how many marks I think I could maybe pick up on questions I can't answer, meant I could focus on actually enjoying my course, which is why we are all at uni in the first place!
Learn to enjoy the challenge. When you don't understand something, don't get caught up on it or get defeated. Look it up, ask for help, enjoy the process of learning something new and appreciate how cool what you're doing is!


6. Don't compare yourself to others


Especially in environments like uni, it is so easy to think everyone else around you is 10x smarter than you. 
"Everyone else has completed the example sheets. I'm the only one that's gotten behind. Everyone else knows all the content and is going to do so much better than me in exams." 
These thoughts are SO easy to let in your head but learn to stop them.
Comparing yourself to others is never a productive action. This holds as true at uni as it does when it comes to body image. 
Focus on yourself. 
If you are feeling behind, or like you don't understand a concept, don't waste time thinking about how other people are smarter. Firstly, they are probably actually in the same position as you so don't sweat about others. And secondly, use the time instead to do something about it. Do some more work, research the concepts you don't understand, ask for help with the questions you can't do. You will only get the results you want if you put in the work.



7. Know when it's time to take a break


As I mentioned, I took a 9 month break from university last year because it proved too much for my mental health. It was quite a big decision for me, but was honestly the best thing I could have done. I've come back this year knowing what my limits are, how to recognise when it's getting too much and much more motivated.
Now I'm not saying you should all take a year out if you are a little stressed, but finding the balance is important. Last year I wasn't good at that and it was partially the reason I had to defer. 
Yes, put in the hours, do the research and work hard, but also make time for fun. Let yourself relax when you need to and take breaks if and when your brain gets foggy. Get a good amount of sleep and put aside time to see friends and do things that are purely for your enjoyment. Knowing how to recognise when you're starting to feel drowned and fixing it early is a hugely important skill that is actually quite difficult to master.


So these are the 7 things I have learnt from my time at uni and I hope you they help at least one of you!
If you have any other tips feel free to let me know, I'd love to hear!

Wishing everyone a successful start to the roaring 20s 💜💛💚💙

Stay Spacey,

Beck

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Physicists or Artists?

What's the MATTER?

Welcome to Grayson's Galaxy